Wednesday, September 30, 2009

More Fall Flowers and a Treat

Taking the long route home from the library today, I went down to the Cliff Walk just to breathe salt air and feel the breeze. I noticed that the Calico Aster is up in profusion along the Walk, and stopping to get some macro shots I found the Bumble taking a break tucked back in the blossoms.

Earlier this morning I was checking out some videos on YouTube when I stumbled across a mention of a song I've loved for years, jazz tenor saxophonist Jim Pepper's "Witchi Tai To". The melody and the words are from a peyote healing chant of the Native American Church, which Pepper learned from his grandfather. I remember the song from when it first came out in 1969, and it sent chills through me. It still does; this is one powerful piece of music!


Photo & text © 2009 by A. Roy Hilbinger

7 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with this music. Thanks for introducing it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roy, very powerful indeed! Thanks for sharing and hello to Mr. Bee! Great macro shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to say it's six degrees of separation, but - Roy, I must confess. I watched your posted video and it reminded me of how much I love John Trudell's work. I planned on coming back to your post to say so - but you got ahead of me!

    So here I am now!

    Great vid - and I love the Calico Asters... I've never seen any like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we don't get the white asters around here...lots of purple goin' on! And the bumbles are great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bee pic! Came over from Petikat's blog, because from your profile pic I got the idea that you were kind of hippie-ish. Now how did I know that?

    ReplyDelete