Monday, September 28, 2009

Monday Odds & Ends

I walked down to Gooseneck Cove today to put some fresh air in me and blow the cobwebs out of my head. The first thing I saw was this immature Snowy Egret fishing in the shallows. Most of the Egrets have left for the season, but there are still a few immatures around, and as a friend of mine commented: "You know kids, they do what they want!" But what I thought was at least one good sign was the fact that this guy seems to be eating his vegetables along with his fish.

And more Fall flowers. These Swamp Aster were growing next to Hazard Rd.

© 2009 by A. Roy Hilbinger

8 comments:

  1. The Egret looks enormous. How big a bird are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowy Egrets are small, Alan. That one was probably around 18 inches (46 cm) tall, which is about half the size of a Great Egret or a Great Blue Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take the best pictures on your walks, Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. I love the way the water is rushing round the egret's legs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roy, I've seen the Blue Herons so that puts it a better perspective, for me. Awesome shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Monday was a lot more exciting than mine I assure you! We have those egrets, they follow a couple of cows up the road, I think the cows disturb grubs or things they find yummy. Must take the camera up there one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Egret - and the flowers look just like fireworks. A very sparkling post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, spectacular photos! I love your blog... it makes me wish I were there!

    ReplyDelete