Friday, May 08, 2020

Racing the Rain

We have a lot of rain and much colder temperatures heading our way, starting this afternoon, so I got out this morning to hit the Dykeman Spring Nature Park and then do some fill-in grocery shopping. Unfortunately, the rain beat me. Not badly, though; just some occasional light rain, no downpours. It didn't cramp my style at all. Still lots of birds, all singing up a storm. I saw two Orioles up in the tree over the north end of the north duck pond, but they were out of range. Also, Mother Goose's eggs must have finally hatched; I saw one and maybe two goslings peeking out from under her wings as she sat on her nest; there were five eggs in the nest, so the other three may not have hatched yet. I couldn't get close enough for a good shot; Mama was glaring at me and Papa was hovering menacingly, so I kept my distance. The main attraction this morning was the flying circus provided by the Swallows. The Rough-winged Swallows just darted about with no stopping, but the Barn Swallows took turns flying up to a branch hanging over the north duck pond, and them I got pictures of. It was a fun morning despite the rain!

A Gray Catbird chattering away along the nature trail
More Dame's Rocket along the trail
In the heart of the wetland
Two Barn Swallows hanging out over the pond
Mushrooms up on the meadow; I call them "fairy umbrellas".
© 2020 by A. Roy Hilbinger

No comments:

Post a Comment