Sunday, March 01, 2009

Scenes from the Macro-World - Playing

I follow the [Occasional] Picture of the Day blog, and this morning I stumbled across Matt's post about building a "macro box". It looked good to me, so I followed the link he provided to the full instructions on how to build one for $10 or less on the Strobist blog. Then I made one. My only problem is I don't have a detachable flash, so I had to make do with the strongest light I have around here. I think the next time I play with this I'm going to use two lights, one to each side of the box, and see if that helps.

Anyhow, here are the results of today's play: a Laughing Buddha figurine, a Ganesha figurine, and a bud vase.
























© 2009 by A. Roy Hilbinger

5 comments:

  1. It all is a little Greek to me on what you did and how you did it but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...very nice!! Rick created a box like that to photograph jewelry I used to make. I remember he worked very hard getting the right type of light...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever kind of box that was used, they turned out great. Wonder if you had a flashlight just focused on a certain area, what would that do to change it. But since I am not sure what kind of box it is, I do not know if you could do that. Playing with lights, would that be the same as changing textures of the background. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the laughing buddha.....gazing at a laughing buddha image never fails to make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just followed the links on building a macro box....looks like a great gizmo (if one would call a box a gizmo) maybe one of these days ....but for now I'll just continue my lazy ways and settle for subpar close ups..... but one of these days when I have an extra hour or so on my hands.....ha ha

    ReplyDelete