Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Rain, the Park, and Other Things

So here I was, errands all done yesterday and ready to hike up Baltimore Road to the Chambersburg Reservoir (really just a pond) halfway up South Mountain today. So guess what I woke up to? Yup, you guessed it - rain! Granted, it's a gentle rain with no wind behind it, but still nothing I wanted to hike 5 miles up and 5 miles back in. So to console myself I walked over to the Dykeman Spring Nature Park and took pictures of the wetlands in the rain. The best are posted below.

Swamp bridge, Dykeman Spring wetlands
Dripping Black Walnut leaves, Dykeman Spring wetlands
Duck pond in the rain, Dykeman Spring wetlands
A dripping Dogwood, Dykeman Springs wetlands
Heh, heh! And of course anybody who knows me well knows I didn't title this post what I did out of the blue. Yup, this is a Cowsills alert! I can't help it, whenever we get a gentle rain this song runs constantly in my head. Of course, having lived in Newport, RI - where the Cowsills are from and where they're still a major cultural icon - doesn't help matters any. So as you wander through this Pennsylvania park in the rain with me, you can also listen to the Cowsills wander in the rain in another park. Enjoy!


Photos © 2013 by A. Roy Hilbinger

4 comments:

  1. nice walk....tapping my toes, now! :)

    happy...happy...happy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...thank you for posting the Cowsills link! I love that song from my childhood. :-)
    ...and the photos are beautiful--so lush and green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to walk in the rain! Good thing too, as we're having our wettest year in the 23 years I've lived here.

    The photos are as always, dazzling. I can smell the ozone and hear the plip-plops of the drips... Or maybe that's the local weather!!! ha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡¡¡Patrice!!! Where have you been, woman? I was starting to get worried!

      Delete