Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Feed the Birds

I used some of my Christmas money to set up a feeding station in camera range of my kitchen window, and I put it up yesterday. Here it is today, after we had a light overnight snow:

Besides the cedar feeder full of seed there on the right, there's a seed cake with fruit and nuts beloved by Cardinals and Chickadees, etc. there on the upper left, and a suet feeder in the lower center because I want to attract Nuthatches and Woodpeckers. I'll have to go buy replacements when the seed cake and suet cake are done, but I have some back-up for the feeder just inside the back door:

That oughta last awhile! Now the birds have to discover the station and spread the news to their friends; so far the station hasn't had any visitors.

And of course I have to include that classic from the 1964 movie Mary Poppins: "Feed the Birds". Yup, that's what I'll be doing!


© 2012 by A. Roy Hilbinger

6 comments:

  1. I'm sending some of our pigeons from
    town over, their not pretty but will
    fill a gap around the feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful hobby! I did that when living in Idaho & I must say it's the activity I miss most living here. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all I can say is that you're lucky you don't have chicken sized cockatoos digging into that lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...this will definitely bring the birds in! I wonder how long it will take the chickadees to find the seed? They always seem to be the most curious and first to find new stashes of seed at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a saying...feed the birds and they'll just sh-t on you more... Well...there's not really that saying but I made it up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. magnificent job. I did not expect this. This is a impressive story. Thanks!
    Wilton Armetale Reggae 12-1/4-Inch Round Serving Tray with Cheese Board and Spreader

    ReplyDelete