Monday, October 31, 2011

Samhain

It's that time of year again, when my favorite seasons - Fall and Winter - and their signature celebrations - Samhain and Yule - roll around. This year's post will be simple. If you want to read about Samhain (pronounced SOW-wen or SAH-wen for those unfamiliar with the holiday), its history and its relationship to Halloween, then click here. For this year, I offer some played-with images fitting the season and the mood, and of course - MUSIC!



As always, my favorite Samhain music - Loreena McKennitt's "All Souls Night".


Another Samhain tradition that morphed and adapted to the Christian celebration of All Hallows Eve and All Saints Day is the soul cake. There are lots of songs about this tradition, but my favorite version is the classic one by Peter, Paul, and Mary - "A Soalin'".


Photos © 2011 by A. Roy Hilbinger

5 comments:

  1. It cracks me up that I know a self-proclaimed Wiccan who sets up at the same flea market I do, and she insists on pronouncing Samhain as "SAM-hane."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures - as always Roy - and excellent music as well. Few do the combination of images, words and music as well as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...loved the music, Roy. I always like your posts on Samhain...

    ReplyDelete