Saturday, October 08, 2011

Out and About

I went walking today and gathered this collection of Fall flowers and one mystery bird.

I'm stumped. A Warbler? A Junco of some sort, or maybe a relative of the Gnatcatchers? There were two of them, about the size of male House Sparrows, gray head and back, chestnut throat and chest, white belly, and that eye ring. I saw no bars on the wings, and I never saw the other side of the tail. Anybody have any ideas? [Update: I've been getting all kinds of feedback from here, on Gather.com, and in my email. The response is unanimous - it's a female Eastern Bluebird. Thanks folks!]

Spotted Knapweed

Swamp Aster

Calico Aster

© 2011 by A. Roy Hilbinger

7 comments:

  1. Quite colorful. Amazing how your eye translates the ordinary into the striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roy, I'm pretty sure that's an Eastern Bluebird! Do a google search and see what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. look here...

    http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/showimage/314/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roy.Glorious Signs Of Life.Your Photos Are A Wonderful Validation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry no clue on the birdie but it's very cute. Nice to see you still have some flowers with fall upon you. The purple one is similar to a 'weed' that we have here called patterson's curse. Fields of purple in some places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I've been getting all kinds of feedback on the bird ID. It's unanimous - female Eastern Bluebird. So I've updated in the text. Thanks folks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shots! Bluebird didn't occur to me when looking at the photo, but once I read it, it makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete