Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Update

Hello out there! I'm still here and keepin' on keepin' on. Nothing of note has happened, the future is still uncertain, but I'm still hanging in there. I apologize profusely to all my bloggie friends for not being able to coment on your posts; I only have a limited amount of time on this computer.


I have been taking some long hikes and taking pictures of the mountain scenery around here, as well as the Fall foliage colors; unfortunately I still don't have acess to my own computer set-up, so I can't post them here. Heh, heh! One of the big things I keep not paying attention to is the fact that there are bigger and more hills here in Pennsylvania than in Newport - puff, puff, pant, pant! The big hike was this past Saturday, where I picked a route that took me up on the mountain; 13 miles altogether, which I walked in 6 hours. Not bad for an older fella! 4.3 miles of that was Stillouse Hollow Rd., one of the main thoroughfares through Michaux State Forest; in tose 4.3 miles this dirt road crawls up the shoulder of the ridge to the very top and rises 1,104 ft.. The way back down to civilization is Ridge Rd., which drops 1,054 ft. in 3.6 miles; a much steeper grade which made me very glad I didn't try this route from the other end and have to climp that monster! [Note: The picture at left is from the top of the ridge, but not taken by me. I found it on Google Images, and it was taken by David Dougherty and posted on his website.]

In any case, that's life in exile up to now.

15 comments:

  1. Greetings Roy.Nice To Hear From You.Keep Us Posted.
    Regards
    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Roy! So good to hear from you! 13 miles is a long hike...especially in the mountains! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that hike and others are helpful. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww you might be in exile but at least you're keeping fit. Hope you're chipper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you're hanging in there, Roy. What a change of scenery from your normal walks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad to see you posting. 13 miles! think I'd be puffing too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're hanging in there. 13 miles up a mountain? I'd be dead--literally!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roy, I have just discovered your news on my return from holiday. Wherever you might be living I will be proud to call you a friend, and wherever you happen to be I know you will continue to take some of the best pictures on the internet. I look forward to seeing them in their full glory again soon. Stay well mate, I will raise a pint glass in your honour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A six-hour hike (up and down a mountain, no less)!! Wow...that takes a bit of stamina. With my reconstructed ankle there is NO way I could do that. The view is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for checking in with the bloggyhood. no need to apologize! everything takes time and time is all we have.

    the important thing is that you are keeping on (and up)! a very impressive hike! it isn't newport, but pennsylvania is a very beautiful place - and when one finds beauty one finds healing.

    be well friend. take comfort knowing you are not alone, many of us are all exiles on one level or another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you are still out and about. Wish I could still handle hikes like that but I have to wait until after I have knee surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hope you're feeling fitter

    lovely picture - the hiking sounds fab., wish i could come and walk beside you for a bit

    ReplyDelete
  13. As long as you have a camera, you'll be with us.

    ReplyDelete