Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Morning Walk by the Harbor

I took a walk down lower Thames St. this morning before heading in to work. I figure I get up at 6 every morning (no alarm, I just naturally wake up between 5:30 and 6:00) and it only takes me 2 hours (or less) to get fed and ready and my morning emails and blog-reading done, so I might as well make the hour and a half I have left useful. So this morning I did a brief harbor walk.

M/Y High Tea, a classic 1930s motor yacht.

High and dry! It was the name of the boat that caught my attention.

Firehouse Pizza, a Newport institution. Their pizza's nothing special; it's the funky (and beery) ambiance that has made it legend in the memories of college students past and present (at least, for those who have any memory left after all the beer).

And just around the corner and a whole world away, the entrance to the Ida Lewis Yacht Club.

© 2010 by A. Roy Hilbinger

4 comments:

  1. Roy. I Love The Look of The Firehouse Pizza.
    One Day Soon I Intend To Revisit The States. +The Drinks (& Pizzas !) Are On Me! Regards
    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I agree... Firehouse Pizza is the place to (wanna)be. Those chairs are wonderfully bizarre. (And I wonder how many beers one needs before they start looking normal?)

    I really should try to make it down your way sometime. We're not that far apart... and I'd love to see how many of your acquaintances would say "Hey, is this your younger (or even older) brother?" when they see my bearded phiz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pizza place has the right look. Funny, the food doesn't have to be anything special for some of those college haunts--I loved the College Inn in Charlottesville during grad school days, but it was way more about the vibe than the food.

    Love the rhythm & blues boat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are few things that compare to taking this vicarious morning walk with you Roy. (Other than perhaps doing it for real - ah well, next June is not all that far away)

    ReplyDelete