Saturday, February 29, 2020

Vacation Begins

My one week vacation starts today. I haven't had a vacation since October 2018. I would have taken this year's in October as well, but if you recall, I had a bit of a difficult time in October. I may have been out of work for a month, but it was full of the hurly-burly of crisis and waiting and in and out of hospitals; a time of recovery, but not exactly restful and relaxing. And of course it didn't include the things that soothe my soul the best - walking out in the woods and the countryside.

So this week I'll be out and about in the woods and along the country roads. Tomorrow I plan to walk out to Burnt Mill Road again to visit the yellow trestle bridge and the springhouse and the long-haired, long-horned Scottish cows. Part of what soothes my soul is old barns and cows; especially cows. So there will be a lot of that this week.

But walking in the woods is also a requirement for my relaxation, and I started with that today in the Dykeman Spring Nature Park. And after an extended period of almost Spring-like weather today was downright wintry - cold, overcast, with a stiff breeze and occasional snow showers. I needed to wear my furry ushanka hat and my shooter's mittens (fingerless gloves with flaps that turn them into mittens); with my leather jacket and my beard I looked like an 18th Century trapper in the far north, what I call my Jeremiah Johnson mode. But despite the cold I enjoyed myself and got some good shots. Come take a look.

Three of the park's resident feral cats were there to greet me to the wetland,but only this one stayed to keep an eye on me.
The moss and other greenery growing on this log caught my attention
A tangle of tree roots on the banks of the creek in the park
A reminder of mortality
A pair of domestic Muscovy ducks who seem to have taken permanent residence in the park
Winter stars - leftover husks of Calico Asters up on the meadow
A male Cardinal in a tree along the edge of the meadow
Me in my Jeremiah Johnson mode up on the meadow
© 2020 by A. Roy Hilbinger

No comments:

Post a Comment