Friday, July 17, 2015

An Unexpected Gift

I went across town to Burd Run to chronicle its run from where it passes under Rt. 11 through the Brookside Ave. wetland and into the riparian restoration park off Britton Rd. I got blindsided only halfway through that project; there was a juvenile Great Blue Heron fishing in the collection pond in the wetland, and it actually let me spend close to half an hour with it. Granted, I was across the pond from it and standing very still. But it was aware of my presence; there had been two birds, but the other flew off as soon as it saw me, and the remaining subject of my shoot would pause every now and then to stare at me and make sure I wasn't about to make any threatening moves. I got other pictures in the course of my walk, but they'll have to wait for another day. It's not often I get to visit with a special bird, especially one that is so infrequent in these parts. It was indeed a gift!






© 2015 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

No comments:

Post a Comment