Friday, July 10, 2015

A Visit To Conodoguinet Creek

I decided to take a long hike out to Conodoguinet Creek, north of here and basically running up the middle of the Cumberland Valley to the Susquehanna River; our local Branch Creek/Middle Spring Creek runs into it, and I've always wanted to get out there. Today was a great day for it, although still a bit warm, so I made sure to bring a bottle of homemade iced tea along. It turned out to be a 14 mile (22.5 kilometer) hike on the loop out and back that I chose. Needless to say, the first thing I did when I came back was take a long nap! Here are the shots I took on this particular photo safari. Enjoy!

The view towards Blue Mountain from the top of Orrstown Rd. on the hike out to the creek
The first contact with Conodoguinet Creek, along Hickory Run Rd., looking upstream
The same spot, looking downstream
The local swimming hole on Hickory Run Rd.; note the rope swing used to get out over the deepest part of the creek
Looking upstream from the Roxbury Rd. bridge in Mongul, PA
And looking downstream from the bridge
Looking northwest across the Cumberland Valley from the top of Mongul Hill Rd. on the way back home
Another view across the valley from the top of Mongul Hill Rd.
© 2015 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

3 comments: