Saturday, October 13, 2012

Celebrating Idleness

Today is Day One of my 7-day vacation from work (yes, it's a paid vacation)! I can't afford to go anywhere; I'd originally considered going back up to Newport for a visit but the state of my finances just won't support it, and I also suspect my wounded psyche still wouldn't be able to deal with just a brief visit to a place I love (and still miss) dearly. So I'll be here in Shippensburg, wandering the area with my camera. As I told a friend in an email this morning, I plan to hike and photograph and also just relax in general. I may also work on transferring my photo portfolio to Picasa, and also create some new calendars of this area for my Lulu.com catalog. But those are just "maybes"; I'm planning to relax, and that means I'm going to ignore all "musts" and deadlines. So there!

Today I took a brief walk to find some Fall color before coming home and catching up on my favorite TV shows that I missed this week because (a) I went to bed early to be up early for the opening shift at work the next day, and (b) because I worked the closing shift and missed them because I was at work. Now I'm all caught up. Today's shots - some Fall Asters in a garden on Morris St.; a pair of very colorful Maples in the Spring Hill Cemetery; some mushrooms growing in a fairy ring near the Roxbury Rd. entrance to the cemetery; and that very bright red Maple in the gazebo park across the street from my house. That thing is positively glowing; it actually reflects red light onto my walls through the front windows!





© 2012 by A. Roy Hilbinger

6 comments:

  1. Just beautiful captures Roy. Asters are a lovely Fall flower I never remember to buy. I always get mums. Force of habit.

    I've always wondered why you moved but felt it too intrusive to ask. I'm sorry you're so homesick. My husband just spent 3 wks in Warwick at a pain clinic trying to get help for chronic neuropathy & other problems. His time in btwn was taking photos but he hasn't yet posted them. I'll send a link when he does. I wasn't with him but it sure looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to leave Newport because of the economy. I'd been unemployed for 3 years and had exhausted all resources, so I had to move down here with family. I'm still attached to Newport.

      Delete
  2. Hope you have a wonderful vacation doing nothing! We always stay home for our vacations, too! Going places is not only expensive but not relaxing! ha. Love the mushrooms! And that tree in front of the gazebo is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I imagine a vacation with the triplets could get complicated. Now maybe if you could go somewhere that has trains...

      Delete
  3. Ah I am the master of free stuff when on vacation. I have the similar issue with finances. I do love your fall photos although I miss that ever changing lake in Newport.

    ReplyDelete