Thursday, February 17, 2011

Old Oak and Iron

I went out walking in our deceptive Springlike weather (it is still mid February, after all) and found my perfect shot at the end, when I got back home. I found these old, discarded barrel halves (formerly used as pots for shrubs) out behind the gardening shed down the hill from the house. And I played with them in the new toy, the Exposure 2 plug-in for Photoshop.

For this version, I applied the noon day sun lighting filter, and then applied the filter that emulates Kodak Ultracolor 100 film. The lighting brought out the weathered grain of the wood on the barrels, and the Kodak Ultracolor filter saturated and warmed the colors without actually mutating or exaggerating the colors in the original shot. The result is almost painterly and looks like a postcard from farm country.

For this b&w version I again applied the noon day sun filter and then applied the Kodak Tri-X 400 film emulation. The Tri-X slightly exaggerates the contrast and adds just a little ISO 400 grain; it gives this shot a bit of a bite, some edge, and makes the barrel halves jump out from the background.

I really love this plug-in!

© 2011 by A. Roy Hilbinger

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really fun toy! I love the results, too!

    I just talked about the springlike weather on my blog..you just know it's a tease! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great images. It remind me something when I'm strolling inside the country club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you do with them in Photoshop - and you Photoshop better than almost anyone I know - the starting point is that it is a stunning composition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty good and quite natural. although I don't fiddle too much with my pics beyond tinkering with exposure. Then I can't use photoshop to save my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find photoshop very complicated, so I'm extra impressed at your results. love the way you've caught the grain in the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to read about your process. I like both versions very much.

    ReplyDelete