Saturday, May 23, 2020

Up One Creek and Down the Other

I decided to follow the local creeks today, out into farm country along Burd Run via Fogelsonger Rd. and back into town along Middle Spring/Branch Creek. And along the way there were definitely things to see.

I started in the Burd Run Riparian Restoration park in hopes of getting another shot at that Green Heron, and sure enough there it was, fishing in the collection pond. It caught one frog and ate it right there, and then caught another and flew up to eat it on a tree branch over the creek, which allowed me to get much closer. I spent about a half hour with that bird and took close to 30 shots, and ended up using the last one.

Of course I also found cows along Fogelsonger Rd. And I got surprised going back down North Earl St., where a very large Pileated Woodpecker flew into a tree right in front of me and proceeded to pry bark off in search of tasty bugs. He completely ignored me, so I got pretty close and shot another 20 or so photos. This ended up being a very productive hike!

The Green Heron strikes a pose
Burd Run at Fogelsonger Rd.
Holsteins on Fogelsonger Rd.
Daisy Fleabane by Middle Spring Creek
The Pileated Woodpecker digging for lunch
A Yellow Poplar, also known as Tulip Poplar
The flowery, and shady, banks of Branch Creek
© 2020 by A. Roy Hilbinger

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures, both written and taken. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete