Saturday, May 02, 2020

A Birder's Paradise

I had intended to walk out into farm country this morning, itching to get some more pictures of cows. I decided to walk out to the north following Branch Creek (which becomes Middle Spring Creek outside of town), documenting how high it was running due to the storm two days ago. Well, I got diverted. You see, we're right smack in the middle of Spring Migration here, and all sorts of birds are hanging out in the trees and shrubs by the creek. I started out trying to get a shot of a Phoebe who kept mouthing off but who succeeded in evading my camera, but other birds were more than willing to pose for a portrait. I never did make it out of town; there was just too much good stuff going on by the creek.

This male Goldfinch was chowing down on young leaves
A Yellow-rumped Warbler, affectionately known in the birding community as a Butter Butt
This pair of Barn Swallows patiently sat on that branch and let me shoot for almost 5 minutes
This Mourning Dove was trying, not very successfully, to hide from me
This female Goldfinch was another patient sitter
This just-forming Norway Spruce cone caught my eye, and the rest of the shot just happened. When I got home I brought it up in Photoshop and just left it alone, one of the rare shots that just came from the camera as is!
© 2020 by A. Roy Hilbinger

1 comment: