Sunday, August 19, 2018

A Damp Sunday Walk

It rained yesterday and last night, and apparently rained early this morning, and then started raining as I headed home later. Nothing very heavy, just a heavy drizzle/mist that didn't require either a raincoat or an umbrella. It got me damp, but not soaked. And this showed in the Dykeman Spring Nature Park during my walk this morning - things were a little damp. 

A few treats during the walk, though. While walking in the wooded part of the wetland I spooked a young Barred Owl, who made quite a noise crashing through the branches to get away from me. It paused for a bit on a branch, which was when I got the one shot below. It was clacking its beak the whole time, which is universal Owl for "I am very unhappy and wish you would go away!" So I did after just one shot. There was also an Appalachian Brown butterfly in the wetland as well. And up on the meadow the patches of Red Clover were attracting a lot of insect attention, including the Cabbage White butterfly I managed to get a good shot of. Come take a look!

Virgin's Bower, in the Clematis family, grows throughout the wetland
Here's the young Barred Owl being very unhappy with me
An Appalachian Brown butterfly in the wetland
The new bridge has weathered enough to blend into the scenery now 
A Cabbage White butterfly up on the meadow
© 2018 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

No comments:

Post a Comment