Thursday, March 19, 2015

Vernal Equinox 2015

I know, the Vernal Equinox is tomorrow. But I'll be at work, so I'm posting my annual welcome to Spring today. Besides, it's supposed to be snowing tomorrow, so it'll be looking even less Springlike for a day or two. It's chilly today, too (it was in the mid 30s [around 2º C] when I was out and about), but that hasn't stopped at least some signs of Spring from appearing.

Of course, I went over to the Dykeman Spring Nature Park to take note of any Vernal omens appearing. There were lots of birds in their breeding plumage singing their seasonal songs; I heard (and in some cases saw) Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Red-winged Blackbirds, Bluejays, Cardinals, Song Sparrows, Tufted Titmice, Chickadees... It was quite a symphony. But they were also very good at staying out of my camera lens. Still, I got some shots today.

A male Red-winged Blackbird in the wetland. These guys are a surer sign of Spring than the Robin, because some Robins stay the  whole year round
But of course there are more Robins now, another hint that Spring is springing
A breeding pair of Mallards by the north duck pond
There are little bunches of Daffodils springing up all along the Dykeman Walking Trail
Still, despite the little touches here and there, Winter drab still dominates the landscape.

And there you have it, the little touches here and there announcing that the change of season is about to happen. So welcome Spring!
© 2015 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

No comments:

Post a Comment