Saturday, August 27, 2011

Corn Festival

Today was the 31st annual Corn Festival in Shippensburg, PA (read about the history of the festival here). They block off King St. from Spring St. to Prince St. and basically hold a big, overgrown street fair with crafts, food, and musical entertainment. It was definitely a mob scene today...


There were plenty of craft and food booths to look at...




After several hours of wandering the booths and waiting for people to clear away in front of several of my favorite views, and after a good lunch (a chicken wrap and fresh-squeezed lemonade), the first outlying band of Hurricane Irene made an appearance, and I decided it was time to go home...


Of course, those of you who are regular readers of this blog know that I took a lot more pictures than these few, but I couldn't do justice to them in this format. There were shots of the musical and dance groups, more crafts, the wool spinners and the blacksmith, and even the Corn Clown. So I put together this slide show and backed it with the "Hoedown" movement of Aaron Copland's Rodeo. You definitely get a better idea of the scope of the festival. Enjoy!


© 2011 by A. Roy Hilbinger

7 comments:

  1. I Love The Corn Clown! I Hope Irene Is Soon Gone.Stay Dry & Safe Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love street fairs, we have loads in summer, can't wait. Keep your head down and your chin dry. Although the news this morning is good, she's been downgraded to a tropical storm which sounds hilarious when you consider it's hit NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun shots! Love the bred, brooms & chess set especially!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were good. I wish I had been up there instead of battling Irene down here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks fun..before the rain! I want a few loaves of that bread and a new broom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. terrific job on the music video!! perfect pairing of music with you incredible photos.....i'd like one of the rockers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray slide show! Thanks, Roy!

    ReplyDelete