Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Standing Quietly

“I think the most important quality in a birdwatcher is a willingness to stand quietly and see what comes. Our everyday lives obscure a truth about existence - that at the heart of everything there lies a stillness and a light.”
Lynn Thomson 

As I mentioned yesterday, there were lots of birds in the park yesterday, but they were staying out of sight and I didn't have time to stop and wait for them to come out. So I went back today to take some time and see who might want to pose for a portrait. There was plenty of birdsong - Cardinals, Orioles, Red-winged Blackbirds, Goldfinches, Yellow Warblers, Phoebes, Catbirds, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Flickers, and on my way out at the end I heard a Wood Thrush. But like yesterday, everybody was staying out of sight. Part of the problem is that the foliage is so thick and lush that there's an abundance of hiding places. And the light green color verging on yellow gives the Goldfinches and the Yellow and other small Warblers perfect camouflage.

In any case, I settled on my favorite bench at the north end of the north duck pond and enjoyed the beautiful day, with the light breeze and the sound of the creek adding extra joy to the day. I may only have gotten two usable bird shots, but I had the privilege of throughly enjoying Mama Gaia's gift of a beautiful setting and a perfect day.

Orioles like to stay way up in the canopy of the woods, and this one was no different
A  view from my favorite pond-side bench, my "pew in church"
This Catbird was waaaayyyy back in the underbrush; I'm surprised this shot turned out so well
© 2019 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

1 comment: