Thursday, December 31, 2009

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

2009 seems to be a year that most people I know are glad to see go. Too many of my friends lost too many people this past year, the world and national political scene was a mess (thanks so much for the legacy, Dubya!), the economy sucks, and I've been out of work for two years now (or will be on Jan.2). And yet there have been some good things to come out of this year as well, especially on a personal level. I got this blog up and running on a regular basis starting in January after only sporadic posting since I started it in 2006. And I had plenty of time to hone my photographic skills and enough confidence in them that I have calendars and a photo book on the market, and a listing advertising my photographic services on Craig's List.

And today 2009 gave me a parting present. It was supposed to rain here today, and I got out of the house as soon as I could this morning to get some last photos out of the year before it started. But it never did; it snowed instead! Not much, not even two inches, and it's that godawful wet stuff, but it was certainly scenic. So here are some photos of 2009's parting gift.




(Photos from top to bottom: 1) The quarry in Ballard Park; 2) Gooseneck Cove at Hazard Rd.; 3) A pair of Hooded Mergansers on Gooseneck Cove; 4) A Hooded Merganser drake (male) on Gooseneck Cove.)

And what better way to say farewell to the old year than to see it out with a bunch of Scots in the streets of Edinburgh singing Robbie Burrrrrrns' paean to past times, "Auld Lang Syne", on Hogmanay (the Scottish version of New Year's Eve). Happy New Year everybody!


Photos & text © 2009 by A. Roy Hilbinger

15 comments:

  1. Happy new year, Roy! Here's hoping it brings you a job and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my blog roll starts anew tomorrow. I'd be honored if you participate again in 2010. Leave a comment and you're on the blog roll! Thanks for visiting and commenting in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roy here is to better times in the coming year! Jobs, health and happiness all around I say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your outlook, Roy!
    And ... you have a calendar out? How do I get one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm starting to know bits of Newport better than my own neighborhood! But that's not a bad thing, not a bad thing at all.

    Don't worry about the whole job thing. When I win the lottery, you're getting some. That way I am assured of your photos for the rest of your natural life.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody!

    Berni, if you want a calendar, just click the link in my sidebar that says "My Photography for Sale @ Lulu.com". It'll take you right to 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pics- and with the snowing background effect, it looks even more real!

    Hope 2010 is a good one for you x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roy! Have A Good 2010.Thank You For Sharing Your Brilliant Blog
    Regards .Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another triumph, Roy! And thanks for your contributions to Just A Song. I look forward to more in 2010. Amen to it being better than '09.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep it's not been a great year for a few people but then I guess that's the way it will always be. Some have joy, others sadness and most of us something inbetween. Hopefully your Health Bill will be passed, the economic situation will ease and Mr "Yes We Can" will be able to say "Yes We did" but he'd better get a wiggle on.

    Happy New Year Roy and I hope 2010 is fruitful. It's been a pleasure visiting and having you visit back. There are jobs out there, they're just few and far between and frankly at our age, it's not an easy task getting full time work. I'm on a two year contract then I'll be out on my ear by September 2011. Who will employ a then 55 year old, I do not know. But I'm not worrying about it for now. Cheers and Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. au revoir 2009! don't let the door hit you (2009) on the ass!

    and roy, I hope 2010 treats you much more kindly than 2009 did and all sorts of wonderful opportunities (that bring benefit and some do-re-me) come your way!!!

    we got your new year's eve rain and had lovely new year's day snow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Roy! I'm ordering now. It only just dawned on my husband and I that we never got a calendar for this year. I can hardly wait to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a veгy
    easу οn the eуes ωhich makes it much mοre pleasant fοr me to come herе and vіsit more
    often. Did you hire out a ԁeѕigner to creatе your theme?
    Eхceptiоnal woгk!

    Feel free to surf tо my weblog hotrod.mdowdell.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website. It'ѕ a very еasy on
    thе еyeѕ which makes it much more pleasant fοr mе to comе here and visit more often.

    Did you hire out a designer to creatе your thеme?

    Eхcеptional worκ!

    Here іs my web ρage ... hotrod.mdowdell.com
    my website > chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete
  15. With dοugh well done its tіme tο ѕprеаd it out with a rolling pin to the different sizes dеpending on how many pieces one ωould like.
    I сan't exactly remember why--maybe it was peer pressure from our health-driven community, who knows. I don't like pizza sauces,
    so І opt to use tωo canѕ οf diced tοmаtoes as the fіrst laуer-onе can of plаin and the
    othеr οf Ιtalian.

    Have a loοκ at my blog: pizza pan avon ohio

    ReplyDelete