Friday, June 08, 2018

Sight and Sound - Main Street USA

Main Street USA in the Window
A shot of the gazebo across the street taken through my partially open front window and given the watercolor treatment in Photoshop™. King St. is Shippensburg's "Main St.", and all of the town's holiday parades go right by the gazebo, so it's kept patriotically decorated all Summer long. When I saw this through the window it immediately reminded me of some shots taken by Henri Cartier-Bresson (one of my photographic heroes) on Cape Cod in the '50s. I gave it the watercolor treatment to give it the feel of a Wyeth painting. Americana at its most basic! And the following song was running in my head as I was processing the shot.



Photo © 2018 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

1 comment:

  1. This tune always reminds me of another Paul Simon composition, the Simon & Garfunkel song "America."

    A bit off-topic, but I was once working as a cashier at a department store here in Massachusetts. A customer was paying with a credit card, so I needed to ask for his ID. His last name was Garfunkel. I said "That's not a very common name. Are you any relation to Art Garfunkel?" As it happens, he was. I believe they were cousins. I've met a few relatives of celebrities. A distant relative of Alfred Hitchcock, a cousin of Gene Pitney, a descendant of Alexander Graham Bell... I myself am distantly related to Lloyd, Jeff, and Beau Bridges.

    ReplyDelete