Tuesday, May 29, 2018

A Damp Morning Walk

I went for my weekly morning walk in the Dykeman Spring Nature Park yesterday, but as I put a lot of time-consuming work into my annual Memorial Day post I didn't have the time to post the results of that walk until today. We had had rain the day before, and the conditions were still overcast and slightly misty yesterday morning, so things were a bit damp. The most noticeable change since my last walk is that the Multiflora Roses have bloomed. I know, I know, they're an invasive species and tend to squeeze out native plants, but the smell is heavenly! I always associate the smell of Multiflora Roses with late Spring/early Summer, and it brings back great memories. In any case, here is some of what I saw yesterday.

Part of a bank of Multiflora Roses
Looks like there's going to be a bumper crop of Blackberries this year
The dampness creates a perfect environment for growing mushrooms
I found this tiny snail on a Dandelion leaf in the wetland
Nightshade blossoms by the north duck pond
A female Zabulon Skipper butterfly fluttered down and came to rest in front of me just as I was leaving the park
© 2018 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

1 comment: