Friday, October 20, 2017

Shadows and Lines - A Walk on the Rail Trail

I have a three-day weekend this week, starting today, and I decided to use it to catch up on Autumn in the countryside. I went up on the Cumberland Valley Rail Trail today with that in mind, but to my disappointment things aren't looking particularly autumnal. The weather hasn't been conducive to colorful foliage, what with some unusual September and October heat waves. Colder weather is coming next weekend, but things may already have been spoiled; on the Maple across the street from me, which usually turns a red so bright that I swear you can read by it at night, the leaves have gone brown and crinkly around the edges, and I fear there won't be any color there this year. 

Still, it was a beautiful day and well worth the walk, and there were things to see and scenes to photograph. The light was just right to get some good shadows and shadow-and-light patterns, so not all was lost. Come take a look!

Rock is the defining reality of the Cumberland Valley; it pokes up through the earth everywhere!
Lines and shadows on the footbridge over Fogelsanger Road
Walking up the Rail Trail
A side trail with a touch of color
A feral cat calculating the odds of catching that squirrel in the tree
Walking through a tunnel of trees
A farm, a dirt road, and a touch of Fall color
A panoramic view of the Cumberland Valley from the Rail Trail
© 2017 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

1 comment:

  1. That's a great first photo. For some unknown reason, something about that rock really appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete