Saturday, August 13, 2016

A Hot August Morning

We're currently stuck in a Bermuda high; this means that there's a high pressure system sitting in the Atlantic Ocean off the East Coast just cycling, and it cycles in a clockwise motion, which means it's cycling hot, humid air from the south right over us. We've been stuck in it for about 4 days now and it doesn't look like it's going to move off for several more days. Right now at 2:20 PM it's 99ºF/37ºC, which combined with a dew point of 74ºF/23ºC means we have a heat index (what it actually feels like)  of 111ºF/44ºC. And a very humid 111º at that. A local weatherman called this weather "disgusting"; I heartily agree!

This is also my once-in-four-weeks weekend off. Nope, no hikes; during a heat advisory like this the advice is to stay indoors, but if you need to be outdoors don't do too much, don't stay out for long, and fer Pete's sake stay hydrated! I went out to the grocery store earlier this morning (full and previously refrigerated water bottle tucked into my messenger bag along with the camera) to get all my wandering done before the real heat set in, and I still totally soaked my shirt with sweat. Despite the discomfort, I followed my usual practice and walked through the Dykeman Spring Nature Park; these are the scenes that grabbed my attention.

Nice, cool water; the creek in the Dykeman Spring wetland
A Long Dash Skipper sipping on some Spotted Knapweed in the Dykeman Spring wetland
These reflections in the north duck pond look amazingly like Aurora Borealis
A Cabbage White butterfly sipping on Spotted Knapweed on the upland meadow
Mountains and clouds to the north seen from the upland meadow
© 2016 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

2 comments:

  1. Now that is oppressive heat!

    The first images convey more refreshing moods, while the bottom one already bears the signs of the hot day to come.
    Stay cool,
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete