Monday, May 30, 2016

Approaching Summer

It's Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start of Summer, and we've had very Summer-like weather lately, including the season's first official heat wave (three days of temperatures at 90º [32º C] or above) and a tropical storm moving up the East Coast. I took a walk in the Dykeman Spring Nature Park yesterday to look at the signs of approaching Summer; here are the highlights.

The Multiflora Roses are blooming profusely and making the park smell wonderful
There are lots more Blackberry blooms like these; it looks to be a plentiful crop this year
Mama Red-winged Blackboard making sure I'm not a threat
Yellow Wood Sorrel is springing up all over the park
The grass in the upland meadow is chest high; time for the year's first haying
© 2016 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

7 comments:

  1. It's been a banner year for strawberries here, so I'm not surprised at the blackberry blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird shot's my favorite. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post, Roy. I'm new to your blog, having just discovered it on some other blog, though I can't recall which one. I especially appreciate your providing the names of the magnificent wildflowers you've photographed. I'm making an effort to learn and remember the names of all of the species that have provided such beauty and comfort through the years, and your blog will surely help me in that endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, George! My posts are a little less prolific than they used to be, but as long as I can get out and about with my camera, they'll keep coming. Heh, heh! Just don't always take my pronouncements at face value; I'm still learning, too.

      Delete