Saturday, October 18, 2014

Havre de Grace - The Vandiver Inn

I traveled with family down to Havre de Grace, MD earlier this week for my niece's wedding there. Havre de Grace is an old Maryland town with a long history, and is situated at the point where the Susquehanna River empties into (or becomes, really) the Chesapeake Bay. It has a rich history and an incomparable beauty, and it offered much to be explored with the camera.

The weeding was held, and most of the wedding party and guests stayed, at the Vandiver Inn on Union St. This was a gorgeous place and a great venue for the wedding and reception. It consists of the Vandiver Mansion and two adjacent guest houses, Kent and Murphy. My mother and I both had rooms in Murphy House.

I didn't take pictures of the wedding and reception; they had an official wedding photographer and a videographer, plus the place was crawling with people with cell phone cameras, so that aspect of the festivities was more than covered, and as far as this blog goes it really wasn't of any interest to anyone but my family. But I did get some shots of the inn so you can see how gorgeous that place is. Enjoy!

Vandiver Mansion, the main house of the Vandiver Inn
Murphy House, the guest house where my mother and I had rooms
The arbor entrance to the wedding area between Kent and Murphy Houses
The wedding gazebo area before they set it up for the wedding
© 2014 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

3 comments:

  1. Many years ago when I lived in Philadelphia, I dated a Dutch fellow who was always going down to Havre de Grace to go windsurfing. He shared stories and many a photo of the river and bay - but yours are the first I've seen of the beautiful architecture. I used to love the way he said: "havra duh gras" with his Dutch accent.

    The buildings remind me very much of Chautauqua Institution on Lake Chautauqua in New York State.

    Beautiful shots, as ever !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrice, what's really interesting about your Chautauqua reference is that most of the people involved in this wedding have summers at Chautauqua in common, and they were all saying the same thing. It's a really small world!

      Delete