Sunday, September 21, 2014

Autumnal Equinox 2014

The sun has arrived at the equator on his journey south for the winter, marking the change to cooler weather and even shorter daylight hours. Yes, I know the equinox is tomorrow, but I'll be at work. So my annual equinox post was shot and goes up today. I've brought you pictures of Fall flowers and turning leaves from the Dykeman Spring Nature Park. I've also brought you Jethro Tull singing Songs from the Woods, appropriate music for the season. So kick back, break out the new-brewed ale, and celebrate Autumn's arrival!

Staghorn Sumac is one of the first trees/shrubs to change color
Southern Gaura is a late summer/early autumn bloomer in these parts
New York Asters, another Fall bloomer
Yellow Birch leaves along the creek
Calico Asters in the upland meadow
The woods along the upland meadow are starting to turn ever so slightly

© 2014 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

3 comments:

  1. Nice shade of red in that first picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! You need to put your sunglasses on for that one! I saw the sunlight shining through the leaves like stained glass and just had to get the shot.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that sumac is amazing! I haven't seen that much color yet...but soon, I hope! The asters sure are nice! We had perfect fall weather today...and I always love saying that fall comes with my birthday. It never disappoints and I seem to have those gorgeous deep blue September skies when I celebrate!
    Thanks again for the youtube song...so fun! xo

    ReplyDelete