Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Quick Peek

On my way to the grocery store today I took a quick trip to the nature park to assess snow conditions there in preparation for a complete tour tomorrow. I got as far as where the creek runs between the ball fields because the snow is till quite deep and I didn't want to get too tired from wading through deep snow on a day when I had errands to run. So while I was getting a shot of the "bridges" over the creek there I discovered a visitor - a juvenile Great Blue Heron! I'd seen an adult flying around a little earlier, and while I was wading through the snow heading for the concrete bridge I noticed movement down by the water. Surprise! Heh, heh! It was busy putting as much distance between me and it as possible without actually having to fly, and then trying to make itself blend into the background. Something tells me tomorrows hike is going to be interesting.

The creek in snow
The youngster walks away slowly, keeping one eye on me the whole time
© 2016 by A. Roy Hilbinger 

No comments:

Post a Comment