Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hot & Humid on Gooseneck Cove

I went out for my usual Sunday constitutional and went through two, count 'em two, bottles of water. 93% relative humidity can make even the mid 80s feel tropical; it also went a long way toward making this particular 56-year-old with a cardiac history wonder if it had been a wise move to even come out the door today. Not to worry, I was only miserable, not endangered. But I did manage to get a few decent shots.

A Snowy Egret catches lunch

"Someone to watch over me..."; a parent watching over a baby Common Tern

A Double-Crested Cormorant drying off after a swim

© 2009 by A. Roy Hilbinger

8 comments:

  1. Those shots are more than "half-decent". Hopefully it was worth the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roy there are a few 'local' friends there. We have an egret of sorts that looks oh so similar, they follow the cows around up the road and pick at the ground where their hooves have disturbed grubs and bulbs and the Cormorant . .I think they must move between you and here. We have a saying "Left standing like a shag on a rock" The 'shag' being the cormorant, pretty useless while they dry out their wings in preparation for the next dive! Great shots as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your site and am a follower already. Love the music as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you ask me and many don't I think it is easier to survive (short periods) in - 30 than +35 and with that humidity life is indeed miserable.

    I love that first shot...because I just want to see a bird or two in real life...until then I shall get me fill of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, glad you are ok! I have been trying to get shots of birds on my mum's birdtable to impress you- but they are too fast for me! So I am now even more impressed by your lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I can almost hear the water and feel the breeze (hot as it was!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. you'd never believe it was hot and humid from these wonderful shots - they are all quite cool!

    heat and humidity is my least favorite type of weather. saps my energy, motivation and everything else. unfortunately we've had a spat of it too - although I really shouldn't complain we could have had a lot more of it than we've had ....the forecast is for a mild front to descent late week and a cool (!!!) weekend

    you be careful trekking in such weather!

    ReplyDelete